He maintained the whole property as a going concern until 1876.
In 1847 it was purchased by Camden miller, John Perry who had been using its mill and occupying Orielton before purchase.
Perry was growing cereals and milling them for flour.
In 1863 Abraham Davy of Harrington Park purchased Lot 1 of Orielton Farm (24 hectares (59 acres)) from three Sydney businessmen who had earlier purchased the estate - John Lait of Sydney, James Ryan of Emu Plains and James Jones of Sydney.
(likely 1865) photograph from the summit of the hill to the west, shows a well-kept farm complex in an ordered estate.
He established a Tasmanian property and this Camden (Cowpastures) property from 1814. Initial occupation at Camden/Narellan probably included siting a shelter to take in the sublime prospect afforded by the current location of the house.
Timber-getting for fuel and fencing and clearing of land for cropping were establishment processes of this time.Agricultural use of Orielton from the 1828 census showed cattle and sheep stocked on Dickson's properties and he cultivated land for cropping, growing cereal (wheat and barley) for milling in his mills.Dickson would probably have sited (probably the confirmed (later) house site) the main residence (manager's house) to provide an outlook and surveillance over the estate.The Beard family became involved in district affairs and were esteemed as gentry.The Beards changed and developed the homestead extensively to relate to the southern prospect and expansive views to Studley Park and the floodplain of Narellan Creek.In 1834, fifty men were working on the farm at Orielton - there would have been extensive quarters.